Saturday, October 2, 2010

When we grow older...

Today I answered the door to find a flowerchild and three hippies at my home.

Parked in the drive was a blue gto and out piled what I can only discribe as a blast from the past.

I know what you are thinking - no...these individuals were not "my dealers", nor were they a hallucination of my own fragmented mind or wacky substance intake.

Instead, I opened the door to greet one of my mother's long time friends - dressed to the nines from head to toe; flowered wreath and scarf around the head, peasant top and beads, and an insanely vibrant peony pink peasant skirt. Her comrades had the sunglasses, tye dye, bellbottoms, afros and long locks down too. One even went so far as to have a joint - granted they apparently decided to leave it at home for fear of being pulled over with it.

Enveloped in a giant hug from a presumably semi-influenced flowerchild/family friend, she told me they were off to a party and to tell my mom to get her butt in gear when she came home and to go join them.

I am struck with the notion that one day when my friends and I are older (and maybe wiser, although that could just be hopeful optimism) I hope that we all have the same sense of (mis-)adventure and fun.

I want to be one among the many friends in our group that will be a part of something crazy and entertaining too. (Another example would be another friend of the family who went out for Elvis Fest with "the gang" wearing a hula skirt and sunflower bra with magnet battery operated flashing buttons attached as nipples).

So far we are off to a good start.

One friend makes narratives and comics incorporating the core gang or friends. And as he likes to remind me...he and many other friends are sarcastic pricks which I often times fail to comprehend and regret when they take me "seriously". You know who you are! =P

Another plans annual trips to the Anime North Convention in Toronto - yes we are that geeky/nerdy. We love everyone for it too!

I have a friend that can drink herself under the table - I realize that is confusing but generally she is a tank...apparently she makes a good punch too.

Another belts out notes only dogs should be able to hear during kareoke.

Another is one of the rare people you might meet that is super proud of her booty, and is capable of just picking up and leaving, travelling across the globe and setting up shop.

Two proudly make faces of indescribable hilarity; the first, Jmart, makes a mean freaking cake and is working towards being a master with fondant; the second is a master with computery things and I swear hands down he can make one of the best homemade speghetti sauces...and I am not a huge pasta sauce person.

One loves cosplay, really bad jokes that I as a feminist disagree with (shakes fist), and has a Ratatta in the top 100 percentage...for those of you unfamiliar...a Ratatta is a pokemon...and only exists within the game.

Those are just to introduce a few...

Everyone contributes their own bit of craziness and I crave that in the future we will continue to get into the shananaghans we do now...if not more.

Maybe one day one of them will come to my door dressed in attire fitting to our own blast from the past. Fingers Crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I vote for more. Definitely more. And don't be surprised if the Avengers one day show up on your door step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait to see what I show up at your door in next week.

    ReplyDelete